The factions in the game are complex, ---- so if you want to get in confed good books shooting galfed ships might help.

I do however see the problem when on a galfed mission, and the name of the ship type isn't clearly pirate or the like.

On the pluss side, it doesn't actually matter too much, sinse you just lose some xp with a given faction, though run into a similar problem with confed, sinse one npc mission I did required me to attack confed ships and I'm now listed as a swarn enemy.

I'll ask around on the forums for some more info on this one, but generally it should be relatively obvious what faction ships are, ---- in fighting ore barges for example, Galfed are obviously going to be somewhat annoyed if you go blowing up barges belonging to Asha and wesbek.

Beware the grue!