To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] 3D navigation

Hi Tom.

On the matter of sound, well I've never had the full 5.1 but have always used a pair of very good headphones, and the virtual 3D support in the Gma engine has always done very well.

On the sensary front though, ----- while obviously including smell and touch in a game is beyond the limits of current technology, you could put in some assistive audio to in a sense take their place.

For example, varying step sounds for different surfaces, ----- even within the same general area given the land marks, ---- rather the way Superliam used the different step bounderies to indicate hazards in the path.

then, as already mentioned, make the wall bump sound sterrio, so you can tell when the wall is ahead or to one side.

You might considder using a wall trailing sound as Terraformers did, to allow you to trail along one wall in audio, ---- rather the way many people would trail along a wall by touch in real life.

Just my thoughts.

Beware the grue!

dark.