Hey Tom,

In all honesty man I wouldn't have a clue about what's hot in the
5.1/7.1 arena.  My experience of surround sound stretches as far as
being occasionally impressed by sfx at the cinema and more recently
being impressed by a few PS3 titles at friend's houses.  Technically
though I don't have a clue, since music is the priority here, which
means I'm on the lookout for low noise floors/quiet preamps/low
latency/high throughput etc instead.

Sorry to not be more help...
Scott