hmmm
that can't be done.
firstly uninstall the game.
uninstall mysql,xna vc packages 2008 and 05 and all xna instances.
get the latest updates from windows update critical then restart.
get  all the items in optional updates with dotnet on them.
restart.
run windowsupdate again and get all the critical updates if there are any to
get.
now run the installer.
This should work.
There is no way to kill dx but then its probably something else.
you may need to clean your temp caches which I do on a regular basis history
temp internet files, prefetch and temp folders.
Strangely enough when doing a cleanout if windows is being a pain I seem to
find it benificial to delete all instances of rundll32.exe in prefetch and then
recycle bin and restart.
The system seems to act like its got a new lease of life.
And this has solved some things.
especially if windows got cranky.
Used to just reformat but its supprising what happens when you clear your
caches.
I'd also clear all documents from startup menu in taskbar and start settings on
a regular basis.
I'd also get tweakui 2 or whatever the latest version is.
myself I still use tweakui 1.33 on winxp which has saved me loads of issues.
on my first xp system the caches got to full and the system crapped out loads
of times.
eventualy ending up not loading at all and I had to reformat.
this went on for a month and then after being angry by chance I did a clearout
of my cache manually and the issue went away for a while.
I then remembered tweakui which ofcause I had lost and got it and well I've
never looked back.
its only 90k.
I have cleared most caches like the run cache and document cache at startup
which was what got full.
and its what I put on all other systems I support.
I'd also do an sfc /scannow spyware and antivirus scan etc.
Lastly do a chkdsk on the main drive, and a defrag.
not that this is without risks defrag doesn't like my laptop, at least hal
intercepts don't like it jaws doesn't care but I had to reload bits after the
defrag.
This is a weird issue windows could need a reformat but I am sure its a
component issue.