Hi Dark,
Yes, good point. I know exactly what you mean. About the best example
I can think of to relate to what you are talking about is Tomb Raider
Prophecy.
As you may or may not know Tomb Raider Prophecy was a side-scroller
released in the late 1990's for the Nintendo Gameboy. While there were
plenty of staircases to climb it also featured a series of ledges you
need to jump over or jump up and grab.
For instance, in level 2 when you enter the ancient mountain temple
there are a number of ledges you need to get to. You need to run and
jump onto ledges high above you, walk a ways, run and jump onto a
higher ledge, and so on. There are also cases where you are standing
on a high ledge and need to jump across a chasm to a ledge far below
you. This is imho something I've strongly considered for MOTA.
Although, I have elected to leave it out of the early levels as I'm
not sure how easy or difficult it may be fore a blind gamer to play.
It is certainly something I'm willing to try though. In fact, now the
the updated Genesis Engine written in C++ is just about ready to use I
could redraw level one with more ledges and things of that nature if
you would like.

Cheers!