Hi Lori,

Yup, beaten it a few times on easy, only ever managed once on a higher
difficulty than that though. Best advice I can give you is:

Pay attention to the speed each creature moves at and how many hits
you'll need to take them out. The idea being that over time you'll
develop the ability to judge distances to accurately attack and
retreat, making sure that you can take out each creature in the least
time possible and without taking any damage.
Try to never ever miss a falling bonus item, but save up the ones that
you can choose to trigger such as shields for when you really, really
need them.
The enemies are spectacularly daft in this game, so there's a lot to
be said for luring them into situations. Two good examples would be to
proceed through a force field thingy, reap what is hopefully a reward,
go on a while to find something to chase you, and lure a few nasties
back through it to try and observe a pattern of when it'd be a safe
time to go back through it again. This way, you can end up with some
pretty spectacular health levels that will last you a long time,
assuming you don't fall into a pit
of course. When you're good at judging enemy movement, you can also
use the same luring technique to make the most of the times to use
shields and pick off nasties left and right because their own attacks
rebound upon them when the shield is active, dancing with a couple of
bears is always fun with shields up.
Lastly, be aware that as far as I know it's physically not possible
for Q9 to take out a bear close up without getting clobbered at least
once, so save up your rocks and pick them off from a distance wherever
possible, it'll make a big difference to your health.

Hth, I'm well overdue another run through those worlds too.
Scott