Hi Shaun,
Nope. You guessed wrong there. Believe me if there were power ups and
things like that they'd be in the manual.
As for Angela getting poisoned, getting weak, etc I have been thinking
about that today. I think the best way is to add more player messages
like "I feel weak" or "I think I've been poisoned."  That would give
you an idea of what is happening and be more realistic.