Hi Travis,
Cool. I'd be interested to know what you find out on the SFML dev
forums. SFML is a pretty decent API all things considered as it wraps
OpenGL, OpenAL, and some other Mac and Linux higher end gaming
libraries, but the way in which it was done I think certainly could be
improved upon. So any information you find out about this would be
helpful.
As far as giving potential developers more than one option I think you
and I are in full agreement on this. Although, you use Mac OS an I am
using Linux we both want to see more games developed for those
platforms, and to show potential game developers that there are
reasonable alternatives to DirectX and Windows for gaming. As you
pointed out Linux users have SDL installed by default, and there are
libraries for just about any programming language you can think of
including C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, you name it. From what I've
seen on the SFML web site it looks like they also are getting a lot of
help supporting .Net, Python, etc as well. So these APIs are
definitely are growing in terms of end user support, use by game
developers, and best of all support more than one platform allowing
you or I to create a game that can be recompiled on any platform with
only miner changes here and there. So showing potential developers
these different APIs, and how to use them is essential for growth of
Mac and Linux accessible games.
So I guess this weekend or so I'll sit down and create a simple game
like Chopper Patrol, or something similar. I think the Chopper Patrol
game itself is getting a bit old. Maybe I should create a game where
you shoot down spaceships or something, but with the same game
mechanics etc as Chopper Patrol. Although, we have all seen more than
our share of Space Invader clones to last a lifetime.

Smile.