Hi,
Well, I'm not sure how they did that. I mean the DirectX docs are
fairly straight forward and of course I'm not accessing DirectX
directly. I am using Philips Streemway API as a bridge between my
engine and DirectX so I have no idea how to improve the virtual 3d
output beyond what is available in the technical documentation
supplied with directSound and Streemway. It is my understanding
XAudio2 has a superior virtual 3d environment but Streemway doesn't
yet support it, and it would require a5.1 surround sound setup to take
full advantage of XAudio2 to begin with.  there in lies the problem
with virtual 3d technology. Even if the game supports it there is a
good chance the end user doesn't have the hardware required to really
use it or take full advantage of it. That's why my virtual 3d
environment doesn't really require a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I've played
MOTA on a standard laptop with little problem because it falls back to
a stereo environment if your system doesn't meet the sound card and
speaker configuration needed for virtual 3d audio.
Still I'd be interested to know what the Blind eye did to simulate
that effect. it is too bad it wasn't an open source project or I would
research the problem further. We really need more open source samples
of how to do things like this so experienced and new game developers
can find better ways to convey content through audio.

HTH