well an interesting thing happened a bit ago.
I wanted to use keysoft 2.0 and mastertouch 2 on another system and I asked about the licencing on these softwares.
Technically these are free.
Right, but you need to get a coppy and get passed the protection and they don't supply that. the keynote gold system is used in their other programs but at the same time it may be technically free as long as you can source a coppy that is.
I never had it so never asked about it.