Hi Shaun,
Definitely not a good idea. Most of this can be corrected internally
just by figuring out the right values to give OpenAL. It is, of
course, not really OpenAL's fault but my own since I am still in a
sense still experimenting with the library. I'm trying to create a 2d
soundscape with a library designed to reproduce a full virtual  3d
soundscape with support for 5.1 and 7.1 output which is overkill here.

Smile.