hmmm
since we are talking linux.
I have a couple choices.
1. I can get grml that has command line systems how easy is it to get gnome for that with all the stuff I need.
you can email me off list if you want.
the other is to use vinux or ubuntu, but then I need to get speakup unless you can just load it. Or I can get something like fedora core 13 with speakup which I think has both systems compiled but is quite a large download, though space is not a major issue.
I am not sure what has the swspeak functionality or not though.