Hi Jacob,
Did you try using frotz for Linux? It is in the Ubuntu software
repositories and you can get it by doing
sudo apt-get install frotz
and with it you can play most inform style IF games. However, it
doesn't have speech output like Winfrotz TTS so you will need to use
speakup or something like that with it to read the screens.

HTH