Hi Liam,

Yes, you only get one life as the game is sort of like an FPS game in
a side-scroller format. However, keep in mind that is balanced by the
fact that the full version allows you to save your game, actually
multiple games, so you can setup checkpoints to restore from. The
arcade mode has been gone for ages. It has been gone for a year or
more.

Although, I have been asked several times to put the arcade mode back
in. As i have not decided what to do about that I've let it stand as
is for the time being.

HTH