Hi,

Actually, a "release candidate" in development terms is a complete
copy of the software in question that may contain some bugs but is
considered stable enough for final release. Let's give an example
hear.

Let's assume for a moment I have just finished with all the game
levels for game x, have added the user registration system, and I
think it is stable enough to release as 1.0. However, I don't know if
everything works properly on non-development systems. So before I
declare it 1.0 I would choose to release a release candidate. This is
essentially a prerelease of 1.0 to do final testing and fix or resolve
any issues that may appear before 1.0 final is released. If any bugs
are found I'd fix them, and release a second release candidate to
confirm the problems are resolved. Once resolved I rename release
candidate 2 1.0 final, and the game is released. In short, a release
candidate is passed the initial alpha and beta stages, but is close
enough to be the final release with possibly some bugs or issues
remaining that need last minute testing or revisions.