Weird that you're not getting vibrations, is anybody else with a 3GS
seeing the same behaviour? On an iPhone 4, the vibrations seem to work
fine.

Sounds being behind you is one of the hardest things to simulate. In
Papa Sangre, they do it by the sound being slightly duller (a bit less
top end, you'll notice it if you spin on the spot). It's not perfect,
but once you know it's there it's usually enough of a difference to
get the job done.