Hi,

Well, regarding Stella it uses SDL's cross-platform window manager and
text is drawn to the screen using SDL's API. Since SDL doesn't use the
Microsoft Win32 API Jaws, Window-Eyes, Hal, etc have no way of getting
any information about that window and the text on it. They depend
heavily on core Windows libraries like user32.dll, kernel32.dll,
shell32.dll, etc  to get the sstate of the window attributes etc. If a
program doesn't use the Win32 API and send its Window information via
that API Windows screen readers are effectively blind to what is on
the screen. That's why the menus etc in Stella don't talk.

Cheers!