Hi Michael and all.

While one does occasionally require sighted assistance when dealing with a
mainstream console, in my case mainly my ps3, I find that most times I
require little or no sighted assistance and can generally time things that I
do need help with for when it is available.  You will need sighted help at
least with something like the ps3 for initial setup including setting up a
psn account for instance and if you need to interact with the online
portions of the system e.g. if you wish to buy games or other downloadable
content because these things are inaccessible and are almost certainly going
to remain so.  Depending on what games you like to play you may or may not
require sighted assistance to learn and/or play those.  Most of the ones I
have I require no sighted assistance whatsoever to either start or play the
games.  It is true that some additional effort is required on your part, you
need to go online to gamefaqs and other places and read and understand
movelists and other things that people have written up.  You will need to
seek out other blind or visually impaired players who are willing to help
you with things like memorizing the menus as these don't tend to be written
down on places like gamefaqs because it's generally assumed there that the
players are sighted.

My point to all this is, while yes it's nice to have things that are made
accessible for us and it would be great if everything was that way, it's not
and it never is going to be, we are a very insignificant minority living in
the sighted world after all, so it behooves you to learn as much as you can
and to take advantage of as much of the mainstream technology that we can
use and do your best to work around what we can't.  Hope this helps, I just
hate to see someone not getting into mainstream gaming because of a
misconception that they are going to need huge amounts of sighted help all
the time.

Regards,

Tom