From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:52 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] Mysteries of the Ancients Levels

Hi everyone,

Here is a little something I've been thinking about for a while now, but
have been to occupied building the Genesis Engine to really think about
Mysteries of the Ancients specifically. So now that the engine is pretty
much squared away at this point I can now focus my full attention on
designing Mysteries of the Ancients. Which is precisely what I am going to
be doing over the next few weeks.

In brief my ideas and thoughts have been surrounding the level maps. I don't
know about you personally, but I can't help but think that the current
levels, levels 1 and 2, are just a tad too simplistic for my liking.
Basically, what we have currently is a simple split level map with an upper
and lower level, and about 20 rooms in a 20 by 300 grid.
Otherwise it is just your basic side-scroller starting from the left side of
the screen and ending on the right side of the screen.

However, yesterday when I picked up my game pad to test and play Mysteries
of the Ancients it brought to mind all of the classic side-scrollers I use
to play when I was sighted. One of the big ones is puzzle elements.
Montezuma's Revenge is a great case in point.

One of the things that made Montezuma's Revenge such a great game is that
there were 11 2d mazes the player had to solve in order to beat the game.
Each maze had 25 rooms spread out over five floors. There were various other
puzzle elements throughout like vanishing platforms, color coded keys
required to unlock doors, burning torches to light dark rooms, force fields,
and so on. Plus there were traps like fire pits, chasms, burning ropes, etc
to jump over/avoid. In short, in terms of the level maps alone games like
Montezuma's Revenge is far more complex and I can't help but feel as though
MOTA doesn't quite live up to its full potential as a treasure hunting game.

Another game that strikes me as another good example is Tomb Raider Prophecy
for the Nintendo Gameboy. While the levels themselves were not as complex as
Montezuma's Revenge in design they were more difficult in terms of traps and
puzzle elements. For example, there were trick doors that when you pulled a
lever they would open and after a couple of seconds they would close again.
That made it a real challenge to run through the door before it smashes  you
flat or locks you out of that chamber.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I know I can do a lot more to make
Mysteries of the Ancients a much better game. Add more puzzle elements, add
a better maze design to the levels, and add more traps, etc to the game. All
of these would be over all improvements to the game itself in my book.

However, my worry is that if I take a little time perhaps an extra month to
really redo the game and add these new revisions I'm going to take a lot of
unnecessary heat from the community. I've already taken enough heat for
various things like switching programming languages in the middle of
development, attempting to add cross-platform support, and other things like
that. I really don't want to make people any more upset or frustrated with
me than I absolutely have too.  So it is up to you if you really think these
revisions or worth it, or you want me to just complete the game without
them.

Finally, if we do decide to go with the more complex level maps we have a
couple of ways of going about it. We could base them off of a game like
Montezuma's Revenge, which is what this game started out as to begin with,
or we could just create some all new original maps. Let me know what you
think.