Here are my thoughts:
As for randomized monsters and items, I have definitely experienced how
things can be unbalanced, and I would be OK with completely unrandomizing
things. Or, what about partial randomization? For example, you could only
allow skeletons and zombies on level 1, add in centaurs on level 2, etc. but
let the actual placement of them be randomized. Also, you could disallow
scrolls and weapons if the room contained water. Then you can also make
rooms which need to have something specific for some reason contain that
specific object.
As for puzzles and traps, I
Would recommend you add in more difficult traps. I am going to illustrate a
point with a puzzle from the last level of technoshock so:
As per your example with the pit in tomb rader, I will take a puzzle from
Technoshock. On level 6, you start out in a room with a switch and no
obvious way out. This is something which is quite similar to the very first
level in which there are two rooms with a switch and an electric force
field. So, you walk up and flip the switch...immediately falling into the
pit which just opened beneath you. You must stand back, shoot the switch,
then quickly turn around and jump the pit which has also opened behind you
before the door closes. Things like this would be very easy to do in MOTA. I
like Dark's idea of using sound for various decorations and floor surfaces
which sometimes do something and sometimes don't. I wouldn't let uncertainty
of how to do something in audio hold you back from trying something. Ask
your beta team and/or the list for ideas on how to do a given trap. You
could also put a trap into a private beta and see how your team handles it.
Two things that the very original Montezuma's Revenge by Alchemy had which I
would like to see in MOTA are vines which you would gradually slide down,
forcing you to keep climbing back up or fall off the bottom, and treasures
which you had to react quickly to catch. I would also like to see the
burning rope concept return to MOTA.