From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Zachary Kline
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 10:58 AM
To: Charles Rivard; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Fwd: VO accessible Chess, Checkers, Draughts and
Xaingqi games released for iPhone, iPad & iTouch

As far as I understand it, Draughts and Checkers are mostly the same game,
except for being played on differently-sized boards and perhaps a few
subtler rule variations.  DOn't quote me on that though.
It is certainly possible for a blind person to use an iPhone without special
assistance, or an iPod Touch in my case.  It does take some getting used to
though.  Feel free to write me off-list if you're interested, and I'll try
to help however I can.  Do enjoy the games, if you get one.
Best,
Zack.
On Feb 4, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Charles Rivard wrote:

> I was thinking the same thing.  I might be getting an iPhone that will
work with the verizon phone network soon.  I wasn't sure that a blind person
could use a touch sensitive screen that has no landmarks, but was given an
iPhone as a company phone, and figured that if other totally blind people
can use one, I probably can, too.  I'm still working on learning the iPhone
4, but it is doable.  Once I get one, if I do, I'll be sure to check out the
chess program using a tactile chess set.

<hdpres...@hotmail.com>

Russian,
>> German and Dutch. Marcel hopes to add Polish, Czech and French
translations
>> in the next update. The viphone mailing list, Scott Howell and Geoff
Waller
>> in particular, were instrumental in providing input, feedback and other
>> information to Marcel during this process.
>>>
>>> Each of these four Apps is a universal App, which means they will run
>> correctly on the iPhone, iTouch and iPad. WHile there is a free version
of
>> the Chess-wise App, I would urge you to consider purchasing the Pro
version
>> to support Marcel's work. The price is only US $2.99 for the Chess and
>> Checker Apps, and only US $1.99 for the Draughts and Xiangqi Apps. I
believe
>> Marcel is the kind of developer who deserves our support one hundred
>> percent.
>>>
>>> I've not tried the 3 other games yet, but I can tell you the Chessboard
>> and Chess pieces are now recognized and read aloud by VO. You can
navigate
>> the board using a one-finger swipe, or you can just slide one finger
around
>> the board and VO will announce the coordinates and the name of a piece if
>> one occupies that square. To make a move, use one finger to locate the
piece
>> you want to move, then double-tap. VO will announce "Selected." Now use
one
>> finger again to locate the destination square and double-tap again.
Please