Hi Thomas,
In actual fact I did try to do a bit of research on different weaponry, but it tends to use a lot of jargon, especially for beginners, on subjects. It seems to all be written from an expert's point of view without considering the experience or knowledge of other less experienced researchers who are researching something without any prior knowledge whatsoever on the subject. I find that I can only really carry out research on things I do know a bit about before I can even begin to understand it properly.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Reviewing space in audio

Hi Damien,

Ah, I see. Well, I’m no expert with guns etc either, but at least I’ve
seen them up close and have fired a few so have that much experience.
That said, it never hurts to do a little research on a topic, because
only by doing research will you be able to make the game act more
realistically and provide an overall better experience. Plus I’m
something of a jack of all trades, as they say here in the states, and
know a little bit about lots of different subjects. For that reason I
tend to judge a game on its realism or accuracy according to the real
world, and a game that doesn’t behave properly I tend to score lower
than one that is more detailed.

For example, let’s take our shotgun example for a moment. Let’s assume
I pick up a game and the developer doesn’t know beans about shotguns
and the game allows me to shoot a target from 100 meters away. Well,
since I do know something about shotguns, and have personally fired a
few in my day, I know that is definitely unrealistic. A shotgun is
only really good for at least 20 meters or so. Although, you might be
able to pull off an extremely long range shot from around 30 meters.
Plus you need a minimum of a meter between you and the target. So if
either one of those distances were misrepresented in the game I’d
decide that the game was poorly written, buggy, and would feel
compelled to inform the developer of his/her mistakes. Something no
game developer likes including myself.

So my advice to you and anyone else is try and do your homework. I’ve
had to do it several times when writing Mysteries of the Ancients. I
have never seen a Uzi up close much less fired one, but I managed to
get the specs an various Uzis and took what I learned and added it to
the game. The Uzi found in Mysteries of the Ancients is based on a
military grade Uzi carried by the Israeli military and allied forces.
I simply took those specs such as maximum distance, size of the ammo
clips, rate of fire, etc and entered those values into the weapon
description and voila. The game now does a decent job of simulating
firing a Uzi. I wouldn’t have known that if I hadn’t checked places
like Wikipedia etc though.

Cheers!