Hi Jim,

Oh, I here you there. Now, that is something I think we all can
understand. I've been there, and I think most of us have at one time
or another. Losing things, trying to find them and of course the
transport time to get from place to place is simply rediculous.

For instance, I remember this one time my friends and I were going to
go out and celibrate a birthday or something at the Spaghetti
Warehouse in Dayton. Normally this wouldn't be more than a 10 minute
drive by car, but since all three of us were blind it took us about an
hour and a half to actually get there. We left Wright State on the
4:30 bus, took it downtown, and then had to wait for another bus to
show up at the stop at 5:15. We took that bus to a bus stop near the
SpaghettiWarehouse, and had to walk something like three blocks just
to reach the place. Finally, we go in get seated, and the waitress
hands us our menus. This introduces problem number two.

All of us are blind. The one with the most sight was low vision, but
still couldn't read the menu. So we had to ask the waitress to have
someone read our menus so we could pick out our orders. This could
have been solved if they actually had braille menus, but no such luck.

Finally, around 7:00 we left SpaghettiWarehouse, and reversed the trip
back to Wright State. It was well passed 8:00 and very close to 9:00
before I got back to my dorm and all of that effort was just to dine
out for an evening.  It took me round figures four hours to get there,
eat, and come back. That's a bit insane considering I went out on
dinner dates with college girls that could drive and we did that same
trip in about an hour or so. So being blind definitely does take more
time over all.