1: magic never misses. this makes all magical characters necros and mages rather powerful, though remember you need to heal them.

2: remember targiting, it helps a lot.

3: Most things in the game are offensive, ie, they hurt your opponents, thus anything you can do to stop your opponents from doing things to hurt you is invaluable. This includes for instance hiding with thieves or assassins, using spells like chalm or curse, and knocking your opponents down. This also makes bards pretty awsome, as well as a major use for spells like paralize, destract or mistify.

the amount of times on the entombed mailing list I've seen people say "I can't beat the drake" simply because they concentrated on trying to damage it rather than trying to stop it from damaging them is ridiculous.

4: Use characters' turns effectively. In some battles (especially against bosses), it's more valuable to have a member of your party on healing potion and scroll duty, than trying to damage an enemy.

Bards or tricksters can't chalm or sleep the drake sinse it's so resistant to magic effects, but when not using abilities like mending song or heal on your own party, have them as a pair of hands to use your consumables.

5: speed matters. There are lots of fights where if your enemies go before you, you'll end up in real trouble and possibly dead. therefore don't be tempted to equip melee characters with large, strong and damaging weapons which are slow. Myself, i try to stick to one handed weapons for this reason.

Also, be aware that the more special abilities like flurry or sneak attack you use, the longer the cool down time afterwards.

your fighter assassin might do a huuuuuge amount of damage with that sneak attack flurry, but afterwards they're going to be a big fat targit for the next few turns, so be careful especially when combining attacks.

6: For anyone using melee weapons or fighting unarmed, assassin is the single best secondary class, simply because of the crytical hits and sneak attack skills. I've just finished a game with a very awsome brawler assassin myself.

in fact imho the ultimate melee monster class is halforc monk assassin raising iron skin, combo, unarmed and crytical hit.

7:think about your team and what abilities go well together.

the assassinate abilitiy for instance is very powerful indeed, but only when a targit is in a helpless state such as sleeping, and usually it's better to put the targit to sleep on a previous turn.

if you've got a druid, bare in mind that once one of your opponents drops lightning is risky sinse it might create a zombi, so you'll need to give them something else to do, ---- eg, make them a necro and ice blast people.

if your full on offense, considder a bard or a healer, and remember necro always means a skeletal extra character in the party even if you don't plan on using necromancer abilities.

So, always think about what classes may complement each other.

One of my best recent parties was a brawler assassin, an adventurer bard, and a healer necro.

These are probably the best general tips I can give.

If you get stuck specifically on any jobs or wonder what some abilities are, let me know.

Btw, apparently Jason would like to rebalance the game, which may or may not make some of this invalid, ---- for instance it'd be rather more fair if magic spells could miss occasionally ;D.

Beware the grue!

Dark.

----- Original Message ----- From: <lind...@lindsaycowell.freeserve.co.uk>