Hi Mich,

If you want all the advanced features of the controllers such as force
feedback rumble support and so on definitely install the cds. That's
what they are there for. Although, windows 7 has a pnp driver its just
a generic driver and doesn't have the custom profilers, force
feedback, and other advanced support for your controller.

HTH