Hi tom.

Your point about computers and consoles is exactly right, indeed while I was growing up it was very common to have versions of the same game such as final fight, ghouls n ghosts, golden axe or streetfighter 2 to be out for consoles like the snes, and home computers like the Amigar as well.

Of course, due to markiting things are changing rapidly, with new adverts advertizing video games, and the term computer now only applying to certain devices which are not necessarily game related.

Though certainly if you go around on the net you'll discover people using the term computer games stil, especially of people who play things like roguelikes, which are undoubtedly played on a computer, but certainly involve very litle "video" elements in terms of graphics.

i actually had to think terminology out last year when we had a big clean up of the game genres on audiogames.net.

that was quite interesting sinse several genres had to be specially thought up, for instance I thought it was a good idea as there are now so many space invaders games to have that as it's own genre different from arcade games.

The full info on classifications can be found at http://audiogames.net/page.php?pagefile=Genres

And we did a similar one for license types as well, whih is at http://audiogames.net/page.php?pagefile=licenses

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on these, and also if people have any questions.

all the best,