Glad to hear you're giving the game a try.  For your yarn situation, I would
definitely suggest getting more peasants.  With only 4 peasants they will be so
busy with the more important tasks that they'll almost never get around to
doing things like spinning yarn.  They will always deal with food related items
first, since that is more vital to keeping your people alive.

The mine will work best when placed near rocks.  Just like a quarry, the miner
travels out to collect metal ore from the rocky portions of the map.  I'm
guessing there aren't rocks near your mine.