Hi Tom,

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure especially on the net and direct x thing sinse I have had situations myself where i've had to install net framework 1 despite having two on my machine, as you said though, this is probably specific to one and doesn't run all the way up to four.

As to direct x, I didn't know direct x 8-10 were basically the same other than graphics support, that is indeed good to know.

All the best,

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Reported problem with packman talks

Hi Dark and all,

I've read all of the Audiogames.net forum posts on the topic and I do
see several comments flying around on their that are technically
incorrect as well as some good advice. Therefore I thought I'd respond
here with a few technical tidbits you can pass along to help the
situation as you see fit.

One, I now have a Windows 7 64-bit system, and Packman Talks seems to
run fine provided The Visual Basic 6 SP6 runtimes are installed, and
the DirectX 8 Visual Basic components are installed. Therefore even if
he were running Windows 7 instead of Windos XP the operating system
wouldn't be the problem unless the necessary components were not
installed.

Second, as for switching to a U.S. keyboard layout that is a good
suggestion. Many older applications written in Visual Basic 6 date
back to the Windows 98 era of software programming standards and as a
result things like the international unicode standards were not yet in
place. What this means in non-technical terms is applications written
in VB 6 does not necessarily always work well on non-English systems
unless the VB developer in question specifically added unicode support
to his/her program. This has caused no end of grief for developers,
and is one of the reasons Microsoft canned VB 6 in favor of VB .Net
which meets all international unicode standards.  In short, it may
very well be a language/keyboard configuration error that is causing
the application to crash.

Third, as far as .Net Framework 4.0 goes there is a compatible runtime
environment for Windows XP. It is largely backward compatible with
older .Net based apps and libraries and generally speaking one doesn't
need to install them all as .Net 4 has compatibility libraries for
older .Net apps already.  All I have on my system is .Net 4.0 and
everything works accept a couple of apps that were compiled for .Net
1.x.

Finally, when people talk about DirectX 10 or DirectX 11 that's a bit
of a misnomer as that usually refers to the graphics components like
Direct3D. All DirectX 10 is--in terms of differences between DirectX 9
and 10---it is  DirectX 9.0C with an updated Direct3D graphics API.
Most components like DirectInput, DirectSound, etc haven't been
upgraded since DirectX 8, and are not going to be given that the
DirectX 11 components largely replace them. DirectX 11--that ships
with Windows 7---comes with Direct3D 11 for graphics rendering, XInput
for joystick API control, XAudio and XAudio2 for audio output, and
X3DAudio for 3d audio support, etc. That is certainly where the
DirectX game APIs are heading, but regardless if you have 9, 10, 11 on
your system the DirectX 8 legacy libraries are installed for backwards
compatibility reasons. So my point is that it doesn't matter what
version of DirectX the person is using as long as they have The
DirectX 8 libraries and DX7VB.dll and DX8VB.dll for visual Basic
DirectX com support.

HTH