Hi. This isn't completely true. I've had it happen both ways to me in the past so I know what I'm talking about in this case. The way you're talking about is one of the things that can happen. The other is that video intercept is installed, but not currently working properly. The result of it just not working properly is that it doesn't read certain things, notably the names of tabs in some multi page dialogue boxes, like Windows Task Manager and also that the JAWS cursor just reads blank blank all the time. This problem can be brought about in a variety of different intricate ways, but most common is that something changed in video settings. Resolution changes for instance. A few laptops start the problem if they are put into and later brought out of stand by or sleep depending which OS, or hibernation. Some will do it if they support docking stations and happen to get hooked into one or removed from it. There are some Linovo computers that are really bad for this for some reason. I've even seen it happen if a certain program throws up a window that is transparent but which takes foreground or if a program throws up a notification window that isn't part of the task bar or alt tab loop. If you try to use the jaws cursor it may just read that window, not read anything, read mixes of tidbits from the window you want and that window and possibly a window you don't even want to hear anything about, or just read properly like you wanted. Mcafee Anti Virus for instance does this a lot.

Win7 and Vista are supposed to be better about it because of mirror driver instead of video chaining, but It still happens there too every now and then.

Restarting JAWS or the whole computer might fix it.

Although VIP Mud doesn't require the JAWS cursor anyway, you use the read only edit window to read, which you can reach by pressing tab from the input window. It's still possible for video intercept problems to mess up that sort of situation, though I don't know if JAWS relies on video intercept to read that particular window in VIP Mud. I kind of doubt it but I have seen it make other read only fields show up as blank when they weren't before. Usually I just restart JAWS when it happens to me and that fixes it.
Sent with Thunderbird 3.1.14 portable.