Well this might be subjective.

i found myself trying to tangle with ascii and depending on only status messages was really more trouble than fun, especially sinse a lot of the really nice Angband features of the highlighter curser, like the ability to list all on screen monsters with distance, and the ability to jump betwene monsters, treasure and interesting objects weren't in either game (as I said give Angband a directional look command and it'd nearly be playable with status messages alone).

I probably ought to try again at some point to see if the curser in either game has been improved to the point of making life easier.

Beware the grue!