Hi Chris,

Thanks for that well written post on the subject. As you said the way
technology is growing and advancing when exactly is the right time to
stop innovating, improving processor speed, updating software with new
features, etc.I've been using computers since the Apple II-E days and
I can say what I have now was unimaginable back then. Who knows what
will happen in the next 20 to 30 years the way technology is evolving.

It seems very short-sighted not to accept or embrace new technology
when we don't have a specific use case for it right now. I'm sure
there are lots of things in Windows I don't use on a regular basis but
could and very well might come in handy down the road.

For example, most of us rely on Jaws, Window-Eyes, SuperNova, or some
other comercial screen reader purchased through a state agency,
school, or some other form of donation. That's fine, but beginning
with XP Windows ships with Narrator. Granted its not the best screen
reader in the world, but  it has come in handy in a number of cases
where I had to trouble shoot someones computer and they didn't have a
screen reader installed. I have it on good authority that in Windows 8
Narrator is getting a pretty serious upgrade, is becoming more like
VoiceOver for Mac, and will be a fully featured screen reader. Maybe
its not a compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8, but I'm certainly
not going to complain if Microsoft improves Narrator and creates a
free screen reader for Windows that works out of the box. If anything
else it may come in handy as a fallback screen reader, or come in
handy when I'm visiting family and access a computer that doesn't have
another screen reader installed. Just because I don't have a need to
use Narrator on a daily basis doesn't mean that feature isn't worth
having or won't come in handy in the future.

After all, it wasn't that long ago I was running a system with MS Dos
6.2 and Windows 3.1. Was there a built-in screen reader,  magnifier,
and voice dictation software?

Well, heck no! Just imagine if we all stopped at Windows 3.1.
Accessibility applications like Windows Narrator, Windows Magnifier,
and Microsoft Speech Recognition wouldn't exist let alone come with
the operating system out of the box. Several other applications I use
such as Windows Media player, Windows  Mail, Internet Explorer, etc
wouldn't come with Windows either. When you think of the several major
and minor applications that have been added to the Windows basic
install we are getting a lot of useful applications that use to be
sold separately or simply didn't exist 16 years ago.

Bottom line, you are right. Just because we can't think of a specific
use for feature x doesn't mean one won't come along to change our
mind. We need to at least be open to the possibilities instead of just
slamming the door closed on them without considering the long term
impact of this or that feature.  Unfortunately, far too many people
are willing to close the door, consider it an open and shut case,
without really thinking about how the advances in technology may serve
them down the road.

Cheers!