Hi Trouble,

Yeah the only really good thing about dos text games was that the text got
spoken automatically by every single dos screen reader.  Of course now people
like Jeremy are coding directly to the API of all of the windows screen
readers.  I never figured out how to do that, so only code to the sapi5 speech
engine.  But it sure made all the difference in the world when windows gave me
DirectX so that my games could asynchronously play wave files, multiple wave
files, pan the wave files and adjust the volume and frequency of the wave
files.  So yes, probably most of the change is good, some is not so much
though.  At least in my opinion.  But I do still like to do allot of things the
old fashion way.  Like I have made a short cut icon on the desk top for the
programs that I run all the time.  One of those short cuts is just to the
command prompt.  I spend allot of time at the command prompt.  And I have
written many batch files for doing things like changing to folders that I go
into all the time.  And batch files for listing folders in the old dos 8, 3,
size and date format.  And the same format but by size or date.  And then my
command prompt beeps to let me know when it is done so that I can start looking
at the listing bottom up with the review cursor.  You know just like I used to
on a dos computer.  Batch files are great for making backups as well.  I just
find allot of things are still easier or quicker to do at the command prompt
than they are in the windows interface.

BFN

    Jim

The command prompt is our friend.