Sorry for those who get this message twice, but since the topic has been opened on both audissay and developers mailing-list, I decided to forward my opinion on both lists too.

Hello,

I personnally prefer forums over mailing-lists, if the forum web pages are made accessible.

For me, advantages of forums over mailing-lists are :
1 - Discussions are sorted into distinct topicc, it's easier to read or follow a complete discussion, or go back to what a particular person said a few
time ago in a given topic.
2 - If you aren't interested in a specific topic, just ignore it. In a mailing list you have to delete all messages having the subject line you don't want.

3 - I often find that mailing-lists are more spammy than forums. You don't want to discuss, just don't go on the forum website. With mailing-lists you anyway see all these messages, because you anyway open your mail client to get important messages (work, school, etc.)

If you can, use one which is accessible and alow quick response (write your response on the same page as the messages without the need to open a special
edition page)
The one which is on audiogames.net is a good forum for example.