Hi Dark,

Well, you are right to a point. Initially when Star Trek began the
main purpose was to explore space and encounter new lifeforms. It was
first and foremost an exploration type show that was the main theme of
the original series as well as Next Generation.

With Deep Space 9 I think the writers were sort of stuck, and it
became more military oriented because Deep Space 9 was a space station
and not an exploration vessel like the Enterprise was.Therefore
throughout the course of Deep Space  9 there were conflicts with the
Cardassians over Bajor, there was the Klingon War, and then the
Dominion War. This really got into the large fleet engagements more
typical of Star Wars than Star Trek, and I personally feel killed the
show for me.

However, Deep Space 9 was not a huge success for Paramount. Ratings
were much lower than Next Generation, and that's when they decided to
return to the exploration format/theme.So in 95, on my birthday no
doubt, they launched Voyager which is one of my favorite Star Trek
series of all time primarily because there were many new alien races,
new characters, and Voyager was completely on her own in the Delta
Quadrant. By the time Voyager had reached its fourth season ratings
were right back up to where they had been with Next Generation. So
clearly Trek fans--myself included--like the exploration aspect of
Star Trek rather than the war and conflict we saw in Deep Space 9.

So over all I agree with you. Star Trek is more about a single ship
and its crew exploring deep space, encountering new races, and going
where no man has gone before. Yes, sometimes our crew gets involved in
conflicts but those are secondary to their primary mission of
exploration and adventure. The reason Voyager was so much better than
Deep Space 9 in hindsight is that with Voyager there always seemed
like something new from show to show where with Deep Space 9 it felt
like the same thing being repeated over and over as the Dominion War
dragged on show after show season after season.

Cheers!