From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 30 March 2012 20:31
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games News

Hi Christopher,

I certainly have plans to do that.  Its part of the reason I am writing
the engine. At first I initially was going to write up general Python
tutorials for the USA Games developer site and then realized I could
ease the new game developer into Python by building some common modules
for sound, music, input, etc. It would simplify a language that is
already fairly simple to begin with.

Basically, what I'll be doing in terms of documentation is a two part
tutorial. One part will deal with the basics of the Python language. The
second part will give specific documentation on the Open G3D engine and
how to use the class modules  for this, that, and the other thing.

For instance, here is a quick source example of initializing and using
sound in Open G3D.

#Import the audio class module
import audio

#Declare a mixer object
mixer = audio.Audio()

def main():

     #Load a sound and asign it to channel 1
     mixer.SoundOpen(1, "my_sound.wav")

     #Play the sound
     mixer.SoundPlay(1, False)

     #Position the sound to the left
     mixer.SoundPosition(1, -90, 0)

     #Position the sound to the right
     mixer.SoundPosition(1, 90, 0)

     #Stop the sound
     mixer.SoundStop()

Obviously, something like this would be explained in more depth in the
actual documentation, but there really isn't much complication to this
simple example. We import the audio module, declare an audio mixer
object, and then in the main function we load a sound, start it playing,
and move it around a bit. Very simple stuff here. However simple it
might be I think it is a great intro to programming without a lot of
overhead involved.

Cheers!