I think that perhaps Justin added the ability to go back a level if you die on scrollers as a way to get more points if you have enough time. But at the same time, if your time is short, it can be the dealbreaker on you having enough time to win the game. Same with the stairs. They can be a blessing in that if the prior level wasn't too bad, you can go back to it, yet there may be times you don't want to repeat a level.

I remember once I was like on level 11 and I got stairs. I took them and got bumped to level 10 which was a scroll er. I died there and got bumped to level 9 and then got stairs there and took them and went down yet another level. That time my score on normal was over 3 million.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet." - Rodney Dangerfield.