Hi Dark,
We do have a pen friend and use it mainly on prescriptions.
I think they use a magnetic code like a cassette tape to store the unique number. So if you split one large label each part would have the same number and if you recorded the first part as peanuts, and the second as lemon sweets, then the first would then become lemon sweets. I think the large ones are for printing on them so a sighted person could read what is inside what the label is stuck to such as file folders. You could use it to record all the squares on a physical Monopoly board, and all the money and deeds and chance and community chest cards without needing an ear bud as all this would be visible to all players and not secret such as a hand of cards. The interesting thing is the box it came in had dots all over it which turned out to be the instructions to use the device. Except you needed to know how to use the device before you could read the instructions. Luckily ours came with a Braille card telling us how to turn not he device and that instructions were on the box as dots. Phil