Hi Dark,
just curious, what engineers have there been in the past who are blind?
I can't name that many historical famous blind people.
I know of I think a handful, Louis Braille obviously, John Millton, then there was the king of bohemia think it was in the 12th or 13th century. To give him credit, he lead his army into battle and was promptly cut down unsurprisingly.
I don't think I can think of any others off hand.

Regarding your view of death, I think I two wouldn't want to be around after an apocalypse, i'm not quite sure how I would end things, unfortunately all the so called painless methods take skill to get right, and I certainly wouldn't want to hang myself.

I look on death as like going to sleep, as I never dream, so for me sleep is pretty much like ceasing to exist. We are only around for a short time, the world got on fine before I existed, and will do again when I am gone, also I never had any awareness before I existed, so death shouldn't be that bad.