I have a flash drive well a couple drives I use when cleaning units.
4-8gb is all you need for needed software.
Ofcause if you need a backup, I make a folder on my external drive seperate from everything else.
I back up the system.
Ofcause if this has viruses and such on it those go to that folder to.
Then I scan the folder.
on my system.
Then I transfer it back.
Then I kill the files.
I do encourage the backing up of important files by users before they give me the system because I will have access to everything while its on the backup drive.