Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the nice word about my Sarah game.
If the GMA engine would have allowed it I would have given people at least three floors of the castle to play in the demo. In the original version that is what I did. I put the three levels set in rings like Packman. However by separating the dungeon level in the most recent version I was able to expand it beyond one dungeon and one potions classroom. I could say the same thing for MOTA, I would likely not have been interested in a side-scroller until I tried out all the demos. Now I'm shaking my fist at the screen and chomping at my bit to here the starting bell of Arc of Hope. When it is released I will be out of the gate and racing for the next level until I get to the allusive arc. I just hope opening it doesn't release ghosts that burn my skin off ala the Raiders of the Lost Arc.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The Dragon Answers Questions

Hi all,

I find myself in agreement with Dark on this issue of demos. While I
realize Draconis is attempting to bring the cost down on new and
existing games I'd still prefer to try before I buy a game. Even if a
game is only $10 I don't really have it to spend frivolously. As I am
married, have a family to worry about, etc I tend to watch every
dollar and only pay for things that I am absolutely sure I want.
Sometimes an audio trailer and a brief description isn't enough to get
me to purchase a product.

I'll offer an example here. I do not consider myself much of a Harry
Potter fan. Oh, I've watched the movies, read the books, and for me it
is something I can pretty much take or leave. So I'm not actively
looking for games etc with Harry Potter themes. So something like
Sarah would not attract my attention because of the Harry Potter type
theme alone.

Moreover I heard audio trailers, read descriptions of the game in
early development, and for the most part I blew them off. However,
when I got to play the demo of Sarah I became hooked on the game
itself, and wanted to see more of the castle, see how far I could get,
and it was the demo that convinced me to cough up the money for the
game more than any other factor. So you see even if Sarah had been
$10, which would be more than reasonable for that game, I wouldn't
have paid because I didn't think I would like it until I actually
played the demo.

There have been other cases where my decision to buy or not to buy
have been based more or less on the quality of the demo. If a demo
isn't available I'm going to be less likely to pay for the game unless
I have money to burn and have no prior commitments which is usually
never. :D

Cheers!