I personally don't mind alter's payment system, I'd regard that as a nicely balanced one with donations myself, though then again i don't mind donating to games if I enjoy them, indeed I am more likely to donate if I enjoy a game and a donation isn't! necessary to continue but will help a little, than if I am forced to donate.

My personal only main issue with alter at the moment is that grinding in the same areas can be pretty grim. While adding new areas helps a lot with this, I'd personally love to see a bit of random wilderness, maybe hunting quests added, since as someone who really enjoys exploration I appreciate areas that can throw up unexpected things, and even if a quest is "go and kill 10 ogres" looking for those ten ogres will take my mind off the grinding.

this is the one major thing I'd say some other muds like materiamagica or medevia have over alter (medevia even has some more access issues due to ascii maps and no low spam modes), in alter when not questing your still just going through a static area with randomly moving monsters, rather than an area with different terrain, and given the amount of time you often spend in static areas even the large ones like the northern marshes or wyvern forest can become a little repetitive, despite how enjoyable the first few hours spent accumulating all the explorer points for those areas is.

Beware the Grue!

Dark.
-----