It isn't that I demand accessibility for every app. I am more than
familiar with the concept that some literally cannot be made to work.
What strikes me as a problem is the fact that some apps, which are
inaccessible, could be made accessible with just a little extra effort
or knowledge.

It isn't that I'm saying "Gimmy more, more, more!" I think, frankly,
that the best way to handle accessibility would be a forward-looking
approach. We could sit and complain, and I have done on a couple of
occasions, about how an app doesn't present accessibility features,
even though it could, or how a game doesn't present certain functions,
added at little expense or effort, which would make it a perfectly
playable mainstream game.

Rather, I think the solution is to inform developers about other,
better ways of making games accessible. The deaf community, united,
brought us Closed Captioning, which gives a printed readout, on the
screen, of any dialogue. That is widely made available now, because of
gentle, long-term pressure. The deaf community, united once again, is
now pushing for captioning of sounds as well as dialogue. This is
because they have already established a bit of what they want and,
rather than saying "We're satisfied. We should not ask for more." They
said "We have something nice, and the mainstream population also
benefit from it. Let's see if we can get an additional feature which
would be brilliant."

I suggest that the blind community, when it is united, doesn't know
what it wants and certainly doesn't know how to ask for it. I respect
the efforts of the people who have tried, and I know that what I'm
saying may come out as offensive, but the plain fact is that
developers who learn about audiogames would probably be highly turned
off by the amount of beeps, blips, whistles, and clicks that they
might have to incorporate.

Smaller developers, again I mension Ernest Woo, want to squeeze every
penny out of their apps, so they'll push for accessibility, if you
sell it to them the right way. The right way, is according to myself,
and as I said before, if I had any incling of how I ought to do it,
I'd start an organization on that point. There's certainly a right and
a wrong way, maybe several of each, but I'll put it this way.
The Wii Sports game's menus are accessible, because they are simple.
If you remember where things are, you will be in pretty good shape.
Wii Fit's menus are not inaccessible, but they are less so, because
they wrap around without making a sound to indicate it, so if ever you
lose your place, you're up the creek without a paddle and have to get
out of that menu and start over.

A conscientious blind accessibility community organization would have
applied to have beta testers, at least, of this widely sold, household
name product. Having done so, we would provide simple feedback like,
"Your menu is hard to navigate, although pretty much everything else
is at least basically useable, because there's no way of knowing when
you wap the menu around." Nintendo might scoff at this, but I doubt
it, as it would be a very, very simple change to implement. We
wouldn't be asking for voiced audio of the exercise names, at least
until we had established ourselves, under one flag, as a united
concern.

Consider all of this, and ask yourself, for example, how difficult it
would have been to make the app accessible. Then consider that this
app is the present. If the developer JellyVision Games, doesn't
consider accessibility a priority, even in simple accessibility
features, then more apps will come out that we will be hard pressed to
use.

Consider what would happen if one person asked them to change. Then
think about what would happen if a hundred different people asked.
THen think of what would happen if an organization, whose membership
might range from only a few people, say about ten, to thousands of
people asked for just a little bit more accessibility, here and there,
made it standard practice, like closed captioning, and found a way to
make it benefit sighted players, as well. It sounds like a far-fetched
dream, but so did holding a single device with tens upon tens of
readily playable games that you could take anywhere, only a few years
ago.

If I knew how, I would make that dream a reality. Maybe someone with
more gumption than I, or with more experience, will take this idea and
make it more than a dream. Maybe I will, someday, but the point is
that being content with what we have is a great moral position, and I
largely agree with it on a personal basis, but why should the blind
community be content when we could easily, very easily, have more?

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard