Coming up with quick interesting factoids is a tad tough. However, the
history of audio game development is full of surprises. As editor of
Audyssey, I had to eat my words many times. I thought I had a pretty
good handle on what was happening and was likely to happen, what would
work and what would not. People constantly asked me about the prospect
for a multi-player racing game for blind people. It seemed that every
blind gamer wanted the driving experience but other than a very basic
single-player racing game Jim Kitchen cooked up, offerrings were
non-existent. There were, however, a few very established developers
who I thought would want to cash in on that unmet demand. Shurely,
they had the most incentive and would be first out of the gate so to
speak. It was therefore a tremendous shock to me when
Playinginthedark, a European group of enthusiasts, released Topspeed2
which allowed for up to eight players to race each other. It was one
of those magic moments for shure. I often wondered whether any sighted
people might stumble on heated discussions between blind list members
discussing the merits of cars and the difficulties of negotiating
hairpin turns and freak out.

Seeing a company like AllinPlay last all these years absolutely amazed
me. Given the high unemployment in the blind gaming community, I
simply didn't think the money was there to continue paying for
subscription month after month. I thought they'd either fold or have
to change their business model within the first year. That didn't
happen though and I've long since stopped expecting it to. fold up
like a bad hand of cards. I don't believe anybody's getting rich
making games accessible to us. The economics just aren't there.
However, people do seem to hang in there.

On 3/27/13, Dennis Towne <s...@xirr.com> wrote:
> Ashley,
>
> I'm certain that you've received a lot of good feedback from others
> already, but I may be able to add some unique perspective:  I'm not
> blind, but I run a large multiplayer role-playing game which caters to
> the blind.  I've had to learn a lot in the last few years about how to
> convert an originally sighted game to VI friendly.
>
> The game server I run, Alter Aeon, is entirely text based by default,
> where a player types commands, and screen reader software reads back
> what is going on.  The game originally started in the mid-90's, before
> screen readers were really that common, and it was almost by accident
> that we started to get blind players.
>
> The biggest hurdle we've run into regarding the blind is that screen
> readers, which read text to the player, are slow - sometimes very,
> very slow.  It is hard to skim material, and it is hard to filter
> chaff text, something which is extremely easy for those with vision.
> In order to really be playable, and to be fun for the blind, we had to
> work very hard to limit and filter text.
>
> Another major improvement in the game came about when the special
> blind client, Mush-Z, was released by a blind player.  This further
> speeds things up by replacing some lines of text with short sounds to
> further speed up the process.  In a real time game, speed is king.
>
> From a more general standpoint, it's important to remember that audio
> data is linear, and it comes out of the speaker in a linear order.
> The player can't skip around in the stream as easily as a sighted
> person can skim a web page or glance at a geometric drawing.  Text and
> story games are well suited to this.
>
> One other information channel that the blind have which most sighted
> players ignore is stereo or surround sound data from their speakers.
> When sound is most of your interface, you learn to notice little
> changes in the speaker balance, volume, and where sounds are coming
> from.  Games like Swamp make extensive use of this for targetting
> zombies in a three dimensional world, and to help players find their
> way around.  Similarly, the Mush-Z soundpack can also use stereo audio
> to indicate various real-time injury status.
>
> If you'd like to take a look at Alter Aeon for yourself, I've included
> the web page link below.  If you're sighted, keep in mind that you'll
> be seeing something very different from what blind players see, but it
> should still help you understand how and why the game is so popular to
> blind players.
>
> I hope this helps you with some background for your article.  Please
> post a link here when it's complete, I'm sure we'd all love to see it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis Towne
>
> Alter Aeon MUD
> http://www.alteraeon.com
>

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Ashley Taylor
> <ashley.p.tay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,

> [...]

Michael Feir
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011--
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com