On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:39:09PM -0500, Lester Vecsey ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> Is the aix mem_free report correct in ganglia 2.5.0? I have it showing
> results from 0gig utilized, then slowly incrementing over an hour or two up
> to 4gig utilized -- the max memory thats on the system.

 I don't know what I was smoking, but my AIX boxes didn't have accurate
 memfree either, after all.  Hm.

 I've just added code to CVS to get accurate memfree for AIX >= 4.3.3,
 but not earlier, since it's much more work to deal with the different
 voodoo that apparently needs done for earlier versions. Of course, if AIX
 ganglia users need support for AIX < 4.3.3, I can rig in the works to
 deal with it...

 (As a side bonus, I added a new function to get the full oslevel in gmond,
 ie 4.3.3.75, rather than just 4.3)

> I was going to investigate this further to see exactly what kind of values
> the gmond process is coming up with in the relavent sections of code, but I
> thought I'd ask here. Also, does anyone know if ibm has a library for 4.3
> for the vmgetinfo function? Its also mentioned in the gmond 2.5.0 code, but
> as being only available for aix 5.

 What monitor does for 4.3.3 is to dlopen /unix, use dlsym to
 get the location of vmgetinfo in the kernel, and access it with a function
 pointer.

--
 Preston Smith                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 UNIX Analyst                  Purdue University Physics Computer Network