I know what you mean about the data forking as it relates to the hostname
and IP address, an example is where a set of gmonds are running and only a
pair of them have tcp port 8649 listening, and one of them has a custom
hosts file or certain knowledge of ip to hostname mapping that differs from
the other gmond server. In a fail over situation the other gmonds data will
be used and certain ghost hostnames will show up as down in the gmetad
output. I would be ok with having a migration tool available that first
could be used to identify hostname/ip descrepancies in a set of rrds, and
then a followup command could be run to do any needed migration. A script
that can use those tools to clean things up in a smart way on a daily basis
could follow. But it seems to me the way to avoid this problem in the first
place is to for example set up nameserver entries properly in the first
place so that they are consistent, you can for example set up a tinydns
internal nameserver and make sure all your gmond machines are using it.

Lester