--- Matt Massie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what is the maximum size of an rrd that you would tolerate?  what is
> reasonable size?  it is currently 11948 bytes per metric and double
> that
> for summary metrics.
>
> that means that a 128 node cluster monitoring 30 metrics each would
> take
> about 11948*128*30 + 11948*2*30 = 44.5 MBs.  tiny.
>
> i'd like to expand the size of the round-robin databases to around
> 70620 bytes per metric.  that means that a 128 node cluster
> monitoring
> 30 metrics each would take around
> 70620 * 128 * 30 + 70620*2*30 = 262 MBs.  small.
>
> it would allow hourly averages for a year.  it would give you the
> power
> to ask.. what going on last week with more fine-grain accuracy.
>
> keep in mind that the disk io is not going to go up.. it will drop
> significantly given the new design.
>
> -matt

Matt,

 definitely a great idea. Fine granularity over a longer time is
something that we lack today.For example, I personally would love to
have the resolution that is in the hourly statistics for a whole day.

 As others have said, making it configurable would be a plus. For some
some diskspace does not matter, for others it does.

 And what I did not see mentioned: if implemented, will it be possible
to use/convert old databases to the new granularity?

B^hCheers
Martin

=====
Martin Knoblauch