The tcp code in ganglia makes the non-portable assumption that wildcard
binds will forward packets between the IPv4 and IPv6 stacks.  The RFCs
require this, but none of the BSDs except for Darwin support this
because KAME feels it is a bad idea.  See the "Interaction between
IPv4/v6 sockets" section of the inet6(4) manpage:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=inet6

Since ganglia supports multiple sockets already, this should be easy to
do by silently converting wildcard channels in to v4 and v6 channels.

Weirdly, gmond was working for me on FreeBSD, but after monkeying with
the channels and restarting, it stopped working and started spinning
when run even when I reverted the changes.  Does it store any state some
place odd?  This is 2.6.0.200501241642.

-- Brooks