From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Ben Hartshorne
Sent: Tue 31/01/2006 20:11
To: Martin Knoblauch
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-general] Pointers on architecting a largescale ganglia
setup??

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:15:19AM -0800, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

>  just in case you did not know:
>
>  http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/gmetric/
>
>  Everyone is invited to contribute to the repository.

Martin,

I believe someone else has pointed out that submissions have been closed
(and apparently for a very long time...).

I found most of the scripts there not quite right for what I wanted to
do, so I wrote my own.

I have put them up at http://cryptio.net/~ben/ganglia/ for your
cunsumption.  They include
* disk - measures disk IO (per disk as well as cumulative)
* network - reports per-interface stats (which I combined in a ganglia
  report to show all on one graph - fantastic for frontend/backend stuff)
* mysql - reports queries per second as well as broken slow queries
* sensors - CPU temp. et al for Tyan motherboards (may work for others)

There is also a crontab file there for /etc/cron.d/ that calls them
every two minutes and includes the (with this list's help) fixed
num-users metric:
*/2 * * * * root /usr/bin/gmetric --name="users" --value=`who | wc -l`
--type=int16

One thing I like about these scripts is that they do a fair bit of error
checking, so if something happens that might cause them to fail every
two minutes, you don't get 100 messages in your inbox the next morning.
For example, if mysqld dies on an unimportant box, you don't want to be
inundated with messages.

HTH,

-ben

p.s.  these scripts have been written for a redhat-based linux
installation (Fedora, CentOS, etc.).  I don't know how portable they
are.  I expect not very much.  :)

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]