Hi,

At the risk of asking some stupid, I've a couple of questions.

First question: is it possible to specify on which interface the multicast
packets should be sent?  There's an option "mcast_if" that proports to do
this.  It works on the bundled version in Debian testing
(ganglia-monitor-2.5.7-3), but doesn't seem to work with 3.0.2.  For 3.0.x,
I'm using a config file with:
udp_send_channel {
  mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
  port = 8686
  mcast_if = eth1
}

Switching on debug show ganglia picks up the mcast_if option, but "tcpdump -i
eth0 port 8686" shows the data is being delivered on eth0.

What surprised me was that there was apparently no code to support this in
3.0.2, i.e. nothing seems to do a:
    setsockopt( s, IPPROTO_IP, IP_MULTICAST_IF, &sin, sizeof( sin));
kind-of-a-thing.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Second question: there seem to have been some kind of corruption bug with
gmond in Ganglia v2.5.7.  Some strings of gmetric information end up getting
corrupt.  I've checked what I'm sending over the wire (I'm using MonAMI
rather than gmetric) so I'm pretty sure I'm not generating the corrupt data.
Using the same MonAMI code, but with gmond from 3.0.2, the corruption goes
away.  I'm guessing this is a bug that was fixed between 2.5.7 and 3.0.2, but
it's also possibly something that the Debian packaging has introduced (or
something I'm doing wrong).

Does anyone know if there's a known issue with v2.5.7 and if so, which version
of Ganglia fixed the bug (so I can document it)?

On Thursday 23 Feb 2006 21:53, Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> http://www.knobisoft.de/ganglia/ganglia-3.0.3.200602231926-apr0.9.7.tar.gz

Looks OK for me, although it has the same problem with sending multicast data
to the specified interface.

Cheers,

Paul.