From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of matt massie
Sent: Thu 02/03/2006 23:37
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Ganglia Developers
Subject: [Ganglia-developers] Re: How to replace apr-whatever with apr-0.9.7

On Mar 2, 2006, at 10:56 PM, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
>  what would be your advice on how to replace the current apr bits in
> CVS with a more current set like 0.9.7?
>
>  In SVN I would move the old bits away and check in the new tree. As
> CVS does not support moving, what should I do? If it were just a few
> files, I would patch them up, but we are talking about a few 100
> files.

does 0.9.7 have the multicast support we need?  if so, will we need
to modify the code to match the apache multicast api?

if you look in ./configure.in you'll see that we have ...

# Configuring the source in the ./srclib...
nl='
'
ganglia_popdir=`pwd`

echo $ac_n "${nl}Configuring libmetrics ...${nl}"
cd srclib/libmetrics && ./configure --cache-file=$ganglia_popdir/
config.cache
cd $ganglia_popdir

echo $ac_n "${nl}Configuring expat ...${nl}"
cd srclib/expat && ./configure --cache-file=$ganglia_popdir/config.cache
cd $ganglia_popdir

echo $ac_n "${nl}Configuring apr ...${nl}"
cd srclib/apr && ./configure --cache-file=$ganglia_popdir/config.cache
cd $ganglia_popdir

echo $ac_n "${nl}Configuring libconfuse ...${nl}"
cd srclib/confuse && ./configure --cache-file=$ganglia_popdir/
config.cache --disable-nls
cd $ganglia_popdir

there is no reason we couldn't change the way this works.

to be honest, we don't really need "expat" anymore since APR has an
expat API... out of laziness i didn't port our expat code over to
apr.  that port would reduce our dependencies to ./apr, libmetrics
and libconfuse.

libmetrics needs to stay in CVS (i think) since it's our code but apr
and libconfuse might be better handled another way.

we can required the libraries be installed if you want to compile
from source, but we'll statically link (to make deployment easier).

we can
% cd srclib
% cvs remove -fR apr
% cvs commit

to "remove" apr (i think that's the commands) but unfortunately, cvs
will never delete the directories.  if a person does a "cvs update"
without the -P (prune) argument then cvs will show all the empty apr
directories.  bother.  i wish i never checked apr into CVS in the
first place.

i think moving to subversion, might be the best long term solution
since sourceforge supports it now.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   http://massie.us